Thursday, March 11, 2010

Young Man Grown Man

I have been recently been working on a poem about men and love. The inspiration has stemmed from personal deficiencies and from the corny but nostalgic romantic comedies I watch from time to time (When Harry met Sally, Death and Sex 101, Knocked Up, 40 yr old Virgin, etc.) And from my interest in watching people and their behaviors especially when it involves attraction, love, and the relationships men and women form. It is the most interesting poem I have written so far and also the longest one. I aim to explore and learn in the process of writing this poem. I hope to explore the male perspective on love and the difficulties that come with expressing this emotion. I probably will talk about women too cause what's a conversation about love without women. Anyway this is the first bit of it.

Young man Grown man, Do you know what love is?
What is that feeling?
Having never been taught to love but I didn’t question holding it in
Recipes for men often come incomplete made to seem simple blend
Leaving the cake to bake itself no love no yeast to rise
Like making a plant water itself underneath a cloudless sky
Free passes we are given
One for each and every not learning till it is ultimately necessary
Or after several broken hearts whether ours or theirs
Young man Grown man You do not own their heart
Your are given it
Wrap it in loyalty inspired by respect and affection

No comments:

Post a Comment